Tuesday, June 23, 2009




Greetings from sunny Sudan!

I have been here now since last Wednesday and so far have really enjoyed the experience. Just a quick recap. After a world wind tour of Madagascar i.e. 3.5 days of packing, closing up house and saying farewells to friends i returned to Nairobi where the following day I brought our Caravan up to Juba which is in Southern Sudan. Since then I have flown 4 days and have settled into life here in the extreme heat, although they tell me it's the rainy season and the weather is cooler than normal?

I will try now to upload some photos to give you all an idea of what I have been up to and where I am living.

On Sunday morning a group of us hiked up the nearest Jebel or hill from Juba. It was a lovely hike with a fantastic view of the nile and Juba city beneath us. See above and below pictures. I found out that day that they do something similar here to our SEF in Mada. A big group of missionaries and Christian staff gathered together sunday evening at the MAF compound to sing and have a devational together. It was great as it reminded me of home in Mada.

Below is the White Nile and below that is me enjoying a local brew on the side of the Nile.



Typical morning at Juba international. They use the old runway as a taxiway/parking. As this is the NGO capital of Africa in aid relief there are piles of aircraft especially Caravan's. The picture doesn't do justice as there are around 8 more caravans behind me. You have to be careful taking pictures here. Very Careful.


First flight and landing in a place called Liethnom. Ryan Unger was along with me to make sure I didn't get lost and to introduce me to the way things work in Sudan.


In Liet I got my first look at the traditional round house. This was quite momentous for me as I am used to the malagasy square house made of bricks. All in all a very cool cultural experience.


Unloading the aircraft in Liet. Tobe honest it was shock to get out of the airplane to see Sudaneese children. I am so used to the semi asian small Malagasy that I was taken back when the super black 6 foot plus Sudaneese were waiting for us.


Some things transend all cultures, the kids love the airplane and love having their picture taken.




More to come soon I hope.

3 comments:

Josh and Jocelyn R. Plett said...

Great blog! :-) Love the photos!! Keep them coming!

fiona said...

yes, great blog! keep them coming!! those round huts look similar to the ones i saw lots of in Mali.
we feel like it is 'hot' here with 28 degrees :-) but glad it is finally summer!

christal said...

thanks for the update Josh!!